Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Suzi and Prayer

Mother put her hand against Suzy's cheek. "I believe in prayer. You know that."
Suzy still sounded angry. "Prayer didn't keep Jeb from being hit by a motorcycle. It didn't stop Grandfather from having leukemia."
"Prayer was never meant to be magic," Mother said.
"Then why bother with it?" Suzy scowled.
"Because it's an act of love," Mother said.

- Madeleine L'Engle


To pray is to walk in the full light of God, and to say simply without holding back, "I am human and you are God." At that moment a conversion occurs, the restoration of the true relationship. A human being is not someone who once in a while makes a mistake, and God is not someone who now and then forgives. No, human beings are sinners and God is love.

- Henri Nouwen



If prayer stands as the place where God and human beings meet, then
I must learn about prayer. Most of my struggles in the Christian life circle
around the same two themes: why God doesn?t act the way we want God
to, and why I don?t act the way God wants me to. Prayer is the precise point
where those themes converge.?

- Philip Yancey



When a doctoral student at Princeton said, "What's there left in the world for original dissertation research?" Albert Einstein replied, "Find out about prayer. Somebody must find out about prayer."

No comments: